The MoJ Ministry of Justice published its consultation on 18 April 2019
to reform the soft tissue injury (‘whiplash’) claims process.
‘Future Provision of Medical Reports in Road Traffic Accident related personal injury claims’ is the consultation report titled as part of its programme
The consultation sought views on:
- Expanding MedCo’s remit to cover initial medical reports for all Road Traffic Accident (RTA) related personal injury claims up to £5000
- Whether to widen the type of medical expert who can be registered on the MedCo system
- Whether to extend the existing fixed recoverable costs regime for medical reports
- The procedure for unrepresented claimants to obtain medical evidence.
The outcomes of the MoJ consultation will feed directly into its wider ‘whiplash’ reform programme to be implemented in April 2020 which includes:
- Raising the small claims limit from £1000 to £5000 in all RTA personal injury claims
- Introduction of a tariff for general damages in “whiplash” claims
- Prohibition on settling such claims without a medical report.